Earth nature field

Any tips to clean Rivery trolls?

General Discussion about anything even loosely related to Nordock
Creed

Any tips to clean Rivery trolls?

Post by Creed »

Rivery trolls are good at both casting and melee fighting。They cast drown,harm,ice storm and so on, and makes 30+ damage with their claws。Only with acid damage can kill them,thus DEVA is useless。
Almong all their spells, drown is the most dangerous one。According my test(dead trying sometime):
SR is useless thus drow is no better then other races(SR still usefull to avoid harm).
Death magic immunity won't count cause drown is not a death spell.
Don't know if School: transmutation spell immunity is useful. Maybe trolls’ drown is a kind of monster‘s ability,not a kind of spell.I don't have mantle of transmutation, but I am sure that mantle won't work for monster ability.

So,what's the best way to clean them? Summoning monsters is a kind of way to deal with drown, however it wastes a lot of time,unless you can summon epic mummy。
Shafters with undead shape or constractor shapes, or maybe druid with elder elements shapes may pass the test of drown, yet only the undead lord with a acid weapon can kill those trolls... ThinK I never saw a shafter on this server...
Drown makes bludgeoning damage, so monk's cloak can save 30 HP and stone skin saves 10 HP, and gives you time to run away and drink some bad smelling potions.

What's your opinions to deal with these trolls?
I think the drown from trolls is some kind of bug because that spell has no weakness of both monster ability(water elements will lost half of their HP) and spell(Spell resistance: yes).
Last edited by Creed on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lliira
DM

Re: Any tips to clean Rivery trolls?

Post by Lliira »

I am not sure what works for them. I am usually in a group, and shooting from a distance. Perhaps use a summon or dominated creature to distract them, and then shoot? I could be wrong, but I thought they only had one drown attack each? Once they've used it, you should be able to attack them. If they have more than one drown attack, I have no ideas to help. :shock:
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Sehanine (Moonbow) – Dreams, Mysticism, Moon Elves
Yondalla – Creation, Tradition, Wisdom
Zinzerena - Chaos, Assassins
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

Quite a few classes can get their forts into 30's..35 is close to "immune" against the highest spawn...bludg resist gives more room for potion in case of need indeed.
It helps if you can get them down as quick as possible.
If you have low AC, the fight is just a no-go solo. Any soak is even bypassed by the most nasty ones due to "magic claw" :?
Blindness would increase the duration of the meal you serve to them ;) .
Otherwise: Make sure you have, or can easily swap to, a fire or acid weapon and wait for their drowns.
When they drown themselves, they do it at cost of half their own HP. Then they can drown eachother Im pretty sure....so:
Either drink a healpotion, or quickly check which trolls are badly wounded/near death after selfdrowning, to kill those before they heal.
In general: fear the rampagers the most,...by far. Don't get flatfooted against them (so be carefull running away for potion), always try to face/dodgefeat those.
Have epic discipline or KD imm......

Lottof text, my only substantial advice is: invest in quickly swapping from troll to troll (asin dont waste time on trolls that are down). Beware of the rampagers.
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

As for opinion, I think the whole drown effect could use reevaluation sometime, somewhere, somehow.
I mean, 95% "damage" in (less than) 1 second......or, make the save and don't mind the water, have a drink!
As for the trolls, they are great in their hidden properties and immunities hehe.
I would class them under "not unneccesary spawn that can kill level 40's" :twisted:
What is beyond the trolls is usually considered pretty epic challenge too so I think they are wellfitted and even better CR scaled.
Creed

Post by Creed »

A wizard could pass them easily by Greater sanctuary and summon black blade to "eat" all of the drown,then use three shields to knock down them, then cast acid arrow or cloud to kill them.
PS:The only thing can kill them is acid damage. Flame weapon won't work.DEVA is useless because of the same reason, not because of their high forts.
I am not sure if their would lose half of their HP when casting drown. They may lie down after a nearby drown casted by their teammates, but their state
is still Uninjured, and I may still need a lot of time to kill them.
FooLing

Post by FooLing »

Might want to check out this thread about how fire and acid do kill them, but not flame weapon or darkfire:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=333

Aside from the discussion in the thread above about what kills them which doesn't need to be repeated here, yes, drown is a pain. There is no general immunity to it available in the game. Having no lungs is the only immunity available that I know of (so shifting, or shape changing into such a form is one option - like you mentioned). Although if it is the same as the druid drown spell, it's possible a cloak of transmutation would make one immune - I think those can be found, but they are fairly rare (and I've never tested this out myself - see the part about those cloaks being rare, and the trolls being dangerous).

High fortitude is the other option to avoid the effect. You can swap in those rings of fortitude +5 you found just for that fight (instead of selling them as junk). Of course, die rolls of 1 still happen, which is also a pain.

If you have to melee them doesn't hurt to try and disable them in some fashion... blind them, confuse them, fear them, knock them down, etc. and if at all possible, deal with one at a time.

How to best deal with them depends a bit on the class facing them and what options it has available.
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

Does the belt that makes you immune to water elementals not work on these?
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

You mean the belt with death immunity?

AFAIK, probably mistaken in the details...:
It used to, in the previous implementation of Drown, the "pulse attack" instadeath version.
Pulse attack drown used to be instadeath on failed save.....it was changed at some point to be alike the Drown spell version attack that does harm-like bludgeoning damage on failed save, leaving you with 1d6 HP or something.

Maybe, just maybe, that may mean that the current version of pulse attack drown, because it would share scripts with the spellversion of drown nowadays, can actually be immunized against with transmutation immunity.....who's gonna test? :mrgreen:

greets
Xillie
Creed

Post by Creed »

As I metioned above, I believed that their drown is a kind of monster's ability, not druid's spell.
SR works at druid's drown, but won't work at water element's drown. And I made experiment in a mod to find out if transmutation immunity can avoid water element's drown, and the answer is no.
So SR and transmutation immunity are useless against water elements. Since SR won't work vs troll's drown, I believe transmutation immunity won't work either.
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

Nope, they shouldn't work against the pulse attack.

All I was saying that originally the pulse attack was INSTADEATH.
The current pulse attack, just like the spell, leaves you with 1d6 HP.

Cheers.