Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 11
Valikar

Re: Project - Overhaul

Post by Valikar »

It's true that a lot of people have put a lot of effort into the module as it is now. And it has changed a lot since it's inception. But that is also part of nordock, the module changes and is always changing. The benzor i see now is nothing, at all, like the benzor that i recall from when i played more regularly. It's completely unrecognizable. My point, is that whoever built benzor the first time, would be disheartened to see it now. But that's the nature of the module, you can't keep things the same for nostaglia forever. I think it's best to keep the feel of the area similar and make small changes to retain the memory of what it was. I've always said new areas and new content keep players interested and i still stand by that. Removing old areas that get low mileage and adding areas that get high mileage is simply better for the server and for the players. That goes for areas that are poorly designed, and there are dozens of those. It's more efficient to simply remove them and build new areas then trying to fix old areas much of the time and figure out all the resources that need to be adjusted.
leutian kane

Post by leutian kane »

Wrong Thread sorry.
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

I prefer to see changes be gradual myself. Like when we burned down the tavern in order to move it for example. Keeps it inline with it being a RP server.
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Zarcoff

Post by Zarcoff »

raradra wrote:I prefer to see changes be gradual myself. Like when we burned down the tavern in order to move it for example. Keeps it inline with it being a RP server.
This also spares our poor DMs and Devs who do live lives outside of Nordock. :)
-- Zarcoff Thornewood
{DM Shar}
berylgreen

Post by berylgreen »

raradra wrote:I prefer to see changes be gradual myself. Like when we burned down the tavern in order to move it for example. Keeps it inline with it being a RP server.
Wait...I remember this! Or have we burned it a couple of times? :shock: DM Faust ran an event for the Navy Cloaks, which involved investigating the burning of the Salty Dog. Coincidence? I think so. ;)
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

Haven't voted yet. So all areas and monsters get reimported?
Are you sure you will end up with something so much compacter? I assume that is the goal, so new space comes available. I doubt just redoing scripts would free really much MB's. What about running a second server that runs a new module from scratch with APS and ATS?, running it on a second CPU core or something with shared vaults like in the old days. It would have to be compatible in rules and balance to the primary module of course, perhaps have it be a special "offloading module" that runs all the more meta aspects of the module, like ATS placeables and really well working chests heh.
This way you could leave the module and be safe you prevent yourself from breaking something of the primary module others cherished while having a fresh new place for additions, plans and perhaps also a more suitable testing environment.

greets,

Xillie
Valikar

Post by Valikar »

We are looking to avoid running more then one server right now, even running a classic and epic is pushing it. The player base, if you can call it that, is very small. Breaking up the players even more would not work out for everyone in the end. It worked when we had 10-15 players online 24 hours a day though, but now..
Beard

Post by Beard »

The entire goal of this is to not change the look or feel of nordock, but completely redo all the back-end of it, cleaning away the piles of extra junk to free up space and resolve the issues with lag and other inefficiencies, players wouldn't notice a thing other than that there are alot less problems.
MAB

Post by MAB »

Valikar wrote:We are looking to avoid running more then one server right now, even running a classic and epic is pushing it. The player base, if you can call it that, is very small. Breaking up the players even more would not work out for everyone in the end. It worked when we had 10-15 players online 24 hours a day though, but now..
A very old debate, but it is obvious to me it is ridiculous to split the playerbase. It is high time I think that we merge all server vaults over to Epic. Especially considering there is no ILR enabled on Epic anymore, so aside from a very few areas where monsters were strengthened for Epic chars, one can pretty much play on the mod as if they were on Classic. Beside, no one is forced to grind over the epic levels if they don't want to. I don't care much for Epic levels myself and will usually work on a new char upon reaching level 20.