Earth nature field

Naming Conventions for RR Nordock

Posts regarding the servers of Nordock
Lliira
DM

Naming Conventions for RR Nordock

Post by Lliira »

Please choose a Roleplay name for your character. If you are unsure of how to do this, use the built-in Random name generator when creating a character.

No numbers, odd characters or symbols will be allowed. Please see the exceptions listed below.

- Roman Numerals to denote that you are the child of someone of the same name are fine. e.g. John Smith II.

- Apostrophes in elven names are fine.

- Hyphens (-) in between two names are fine. e.g. Suzanne Smith-Chantel.

No sentences.
No sentences disguised as a name, such as Iownyou.

No blank names.

Choose a clear first name, and if desired, a last name (last names are not required). You may insert a "Nickname" after the First Name, using quotation marks.

No untested titles. You are not a Lord or Lady, until it has been proven through your Roleplay, and is approved by a DM. You are also not "The Strong", "The Brave", etc., until you prove it through your Roleplay.

Job titles are fine, such as Paddywhack the Farmer, if your character really is a farmer.

If you are unsure about any of the above, ask a DM, or post here.
Xillie

Re: Naming Conventions for RR Nordock

Post by Xillie »

Guiscard "Tueur des Derviches" de Brosne? (Guiscard "Killer of Dervishes" of Brosna)?

Another one of my pathetic remote attempts at trying to play "evil" I suppose.

Its more or less a job description. :twisted:
Should it ever provoke anyone OOC it is mean to concilliate.

The crusades were wrong by the way.

greets,

Xillie
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

No wall of text/run-on sentences. How would that be a RP name? Sentences belong in your biography, not in the name space. :roll:
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Sehanine (Moonbow) – Dreams, Mysticism, Moon Elves
Yondalla – Creation, Tradition, Wisdom
Zinzerena - Chaos, Assassins
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

I guess the name I came up with has a "nickname/job description" ultimately is both a pretentious title and a sentence.

A "earned" title could also become a sentence though.

I think intentions behind using a non-earned title (never seen anyone "earn a title" btw) are not always meant bad or bad in practice for nordock.
It can help in a quick-n-dirty way to force limit a certain development of a character, ultimately resulting in something flat as a living NPC.
You then have a character that is quite the opposite of what would be an open, naturally developed, wholesome nordockian adventurer..something you deliberating didn't "put a piece of your heart" in...the idea is of course to use the living NPC character only on special occasions, like DM events where a DM sees a usefull (of course, rather flat side-) role for your living NPC.

Not questioning the rule, I believe theres also technical arguments against using long names with exotic characters.

Cheers,

Xillie
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

I have no problem with the name that you proposed, Xillie. I am talking about arte's Jalekail name - his character now appears to be stuck in the DB. :shock:
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

Yeah I figured you could be talking of that too 8-)
I wonder if its the length of the sentence or the comma in it.
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

I have been seeing quite a few "generic class" names lately - you will need to put in a request for a name change. Anything with Fighter or Druid or Wizard, etc., is not a roleplay name. (Unless it is something like Morningdawn, Druid of Bria.) Once again - we will not enforce roleplay in your playstyle, but because this IS a roleplay set of servers, naming will be enforced. If you do not respond to this in a timely manner, your character will be renamed at our whim. :twisted:
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

Lliira wrote: your character will be renamed at our whim. :twisted:
To be clear... when it's MY whim I come up with some pretty mean names ;) I suggest you beat me to the punch before I rename you dung eater or something :p
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

raradra wrote:
Lliira wrote: your character will be renamed at our whim. :twisted:
To be clear... when it's MY whim I come up with some pretty mean names ;) I suggest you beat me to the punch before I rename you dung eater or something :p
:lol:
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Nsfivecoate

Post by Nsfivecoate »

On Epic Nordock for my Cleric, Patheron Aetherson (level 26, Cleric 22, Rogue 4) I would like the title of "Hunter of the Unliving" or "Bane of the Undying" or a similar title relating to the active hunting of, and slaying, of the undead along with their deity being changed to Kelemvor please