Earth nature field

Is ATS borked at the moment?

Please post any in-game or website related bugs you encounter and any helpful steps or information to replicate the bug. **NOTE** If this is an unbalancing in-game exploit, please PM the DMs with the information to avoid any possible abuses. If you're unsure, PM the DMs.
SirPalamor

Is ATS borked at the moment?

Post by SirPalamor »

I did a lot of mining last night and it was ok. This morning I went to mine and my skill is now zero (should be 200). :?
Lliira
DM

Re: Is ATS borked at the moment?

Post by Lliira »

The server is messed up. I will ask Raradra to reset it.
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Sehanine (Moonbow) – Dreams, Mysticism, Moon Elves
Yondalla – Creation, Tradition, Wisdom
Zinzerena - Chaos, Assassins
SirPalamor

Post by SirPalamor »

Ok, thanks.
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

So the server fails when it tries to reconnect to the database after reset?

Thoughtfarts:

Maybe a script could be modified that it tries again in a few minutes/30 seconds?

Maybe a script could officially "disconnect" the connection to the DB before nwnx restarts or the mod reloads (in case reconnecting fails because of the previous connection still existing as "ghost" on the server)?

If it is security related, maybe the SQL server can be configured to allow multiple connections from the same source/ip (in case of old ghosting connections)? Maybe this last thing isnt a good idea if closing the old connection while a new is established changes values that the new connection hasnt loaded on modload.

Please ignore my thoughts if they completely miss it 8-) , probably do.

Its just a minor thing, the server is great in general :D

greets,
Xillie
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

Just woke up. Will reset momentarily
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

k reset
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Beard

Post by Beard »

Xille: The server is granted unlimited connections from the same source/ip provided it's local, which it is, secondly, the database functionality, even if you wrote a plugin for it, could not repair the connection lost to nwnx, as the program itself manages sessions. Which, if the instance for MySQL is restarted for any reason, nwnx itself must also be reset as it's holding an invalid session to connect to MySQL with. A plugin, NWScript, etc would not fix this, service halt and restart is all that works. As of right now, only Rara can reboot nwnx. In future there will be access for others.
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

Dang, right, nwn scripts do not (reverse) affect nwnx, thats what you mean right?

So I suppose the DB connection gets lots on a mere module reload (nwnx doesnt get restarted)?
Maybe this is a server-client timeout issue?

I was nosying in raradras nwnx.ini in another post and saw an option for

"RestartDelay"

Would "restart" in this mean a restart of nwnx or a restart of the module?

It is currently set on 0, maybe trying some positive number experimentally? 40?

greets,

Xillie
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

Currently the server gets started and restarted with a command line that runs a special file for linux that my techs carefully crafted so that nothing else on my server (a few hundred websites) is affected by you guys sucking half the power :)

I run it via putty but it connects to my root server so unless/until someone finds a way to load directly from the raradra.com domain (which is where I host nordock) we are stuck (Sorry, not giving out the master password to anyone). It took my tech a few days to modify the files Phoenix ran on his server to make it run on mine so the file we have is good, just need to find a way to allow other DM's to run the command line without needing access to my root.
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

So the nwnx program runs as root, that is considered very insecure in general.

Maybe the nwnx process can be run under restricted homeless user credentials that can be shared?

I used to, but I remember you can get a few issues with ports and firewalls that need configuring.

I'm not a webmaster at all, but wouldnt cgi php allow a server run a localscript through clicking web-buttons remotely?
I have 0 experience with that sorry.

greets,

Xillie