Earth nature field

Help! The female Clerics of Life are getting naked with me!

General Discussion about anything even loosely related to Nordock
GWGuen

Help! The female Clerics of Life are getting naked with me!

Post by GWGuen »

I'm not quite sure how I should handle a situation so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

After being gone for a long time, I'm now running my Monk on the Enhanced Edition server. He's still fairly low level so I've gotten help from a series of Clerics of Life. They aren't doing quite what I've wanted and sooner or later they wade into fights and have gotten themselves killed when I'd rather they stayed back & used their slings (although at least once she saved me from dying when she did that).

This happened earlier this afternoon where we were in the West Benzor Slums fighting some Rogues. In this case, 1 of the rogues sneak attacked her. One second she's on the ground saying that she can't heal herself. The next second there's a flash of colors and she's standing there with only a bikini on & with 1 hit point. I killed the rest of the rogues, healed her, and then we left. But my questions is, what happened to her stuff?

I had a previous unfortunate incident where an Ogre scored a crit on me and sent me to the fugue. When I got back to that location, she was there (in a bikini again) but her stuff was all gone again.

This is a problem for me because in both cases I'd spent a fair amount stocking those Clerics up after they lost their possessions. Prior to this instance with the rogues, I'd gotten her a mace, a +1 sling, +1 chainmail armor, and a +1 small shield. And I'd gotten her most of that same stuff before the incident with the goblins and the ogre. And it all vanished each time.

What's expected to be done for these NPCs? Do we just release them when they lose all of their possessions? Are we expected to outfit them again? My monk is lawful so he wants to follow the rules. On top of that, I don't want to clog up the game with useless objects, either. There are already 2 dead bodies out there from my previous experiences. I don't want to create an army of useless NPCs out there for the server to handle.

Hopefully I'll get better at this and won't leave as many bodies of one-time henchmen in my wake in the future but I wasn't sure if I should let her go here or get her re-stocked with low grade materials?

Thanks,
GWGuen
Lliira
DM

Re: Help! The female Clerics of Life are getting naked with me!

Post by Lliira »

Best option would have been to find her backpack. It would be in a spot where she had previously died. (Yes, the henchmen are buggy.) We can also reboot the server, so you could hire another, but they would only have basic gear.
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Sehanine (Moonbow) – Dreams, Mysticism, Moon Elves
Yondalla – Creation, Tradition, Wisdom
Zinzerena - Chaos, Assassins
Senectus
DM

Post by Senectus »

All the mercs' loot/death bags are a little buggy. Eventually, if there is one of those bags out there, all of one dead mercs's stuff ends up in one bag. So if folks don't clean that up after their merc dies, it may mean if your merc dies, their stuff ends up somewhere unknown. Of course, if you merc dies, that often means you are dead or would be dead if you tried to recover their stuff, so it's understandable that sometimes it lingers in a spot for a while.

But overlooking that, yes, the merc's items usually drops in a bag where they died. You can load up the stuff and re-equip them with it, you shouldn't have to keep re-outfitting them.

Tip: If you can also afford a bag, put their original stuff in that bag in your inventory. Before you log out, take all the stuff you put on them, and store it in the bag and put their original stuff back on. That way, you don't have to keep re-investing in gear for them. When you log back in, or if the server has reset, you still have the set of upgraded gear to use for a merc.
GWGuen

Post by GWGuen »

Thank you both for your responses. Sorry that it took me so long to respond here.

I certainly trust both of your responses about the henchmen being buggy but I've now experienced that for myself.

I don't remember if it was Lliira or someone else who contacted me the first time I signed in after the server reboot but they were nice enough to have a couple of extra Clerics of Life in the Inn in Benzor Flats.

I asked one of the Clerics to accompany me and was exploring in the 'West Benzor Slums - Crypt' when the opposition there was too much for us. The Cleric died and I can't remember if I died and my deity (or maybe a DM) saved me and I had to retreat at that time. I went back in but I don't think I was able to recover either the first Cleric's body or her possessions that time.

I got the 2nd Cleric and did some exploring in other places. This time we were in the 'Benzor River Valley - Tunnels' when the Bugbear Heroes or whatever they are proved to be too much for us. We both definitely died there.

After coming back I went back into the 'West Benzor Slums - Crypt' by myself and checked the Cleric of Life's body. Sure enough, 2 full clerics' worth of stuff was these with the first Cleric's body. After that, I tried to get the 2nd Cleric back from the bugbears.

That was a struggle and I was being overwhelmed in my first attempt and had to flee back to 'Benzor River Valley' to lick my wounds and to plot my next attempt. The next time I went in slowly and drew out the Bugbear Heroes 1 or 2 at a time as I progressed. When I got close to the 2nd Cleric I could hear her be killed over & over again. She kept respawning with 1 HP or so and no possessions so the Bugbear Hero next to her kept killing her over and over again.

I finally got to that last Bugbear Hero and killed it and then I was able to heal and restock the 2nd Cleric & then we quickly rested. Of course, all of the monsters had respawned by this time so we had to fight our way out but she helped in those battles so they went well.

It was actually fun to go back and rescue the Clercs' possessions and then to get the Cleric herself. My own little quest. Hopefully I won't kill this 2nd Cleric again but, if I do, then I'll had back to the 'West Benzor Slums - Crypt' to see if her possessions are there.

Thanks for the advice and the henchwomen!

GWGuen
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Sehanine (Moonbow) – Dreams, Mysticism, Moon Elves
Yondalla – Creation, Tradition, Wisdom
Zinzerena - Chaos, Assassins