Earth nature field

Item idea - Top quality haste potions?

Posts regarding the servers of Nordock
WyreZ

Item idea - Top quality haste potions?

Post by WyreZ »

Hi guys!

I was thinking of an alternative for 'permahaste' - Higher quality haste potions, that last 2 turns each.

I feel the haste potions as they are, while useful in specific scenarios ("dear lord, my scimmy of speed was disarmed!" or, "I'm a low level and bit off far more than I can chew! Cheese it!") are generally not useful for most players. Everyone ends up seeking some other more permanent or lasting form of haste. The players that don't are often mage-types who can cast it on themselves anyway, which I dig.

But I figure a 2 minute haste potion would mean you can use them for battles - you couldn't rely on them in a long battle, though, and it would encourage players to break away from the usual forms of perma-haste, creating more diversity in weapon choice, armor choice etc.

What do you guys think?

-WyreZ
Beard

Re: Item idea - Top quality haste potions?

Post by Beard »

Any well built mage has some form of perma haste, just about every power build out there uses perma haste... if you want longer durations, you should take caster levels to gain it. Just my two cents.
Paul_Kettlebones
DM

Post by Paul_Kettlebones »

Unless he means adding such potions to the mod and then eliminating all perma-haste items. I could get behind that.
Logins: Paul_Kettlebones & DM_Requietum.
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

Paul_Kettlebones wrote:Unless he means adding such potions to the mod and then eliminating all perma-haste items. I could get behind that.

haha yeah that would piss off nearly everyone :)
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Paul_Kettlebones
DM

Post by Paul_Kettlebones »

Well, if so many folks have perma-hasted items, what purpose would the potions serve? I mean the number of low low level characters "finding" high end magic would mean even low levels would find the potions useless unless the point was to eliminate those permanent items.
Logins: Paul_Kettlebones & DM_Requietum.
Beard

Post by Beard »

there's an abundance of haste solutions in the module that with a party of adventurers you can get anything from the epic store to going into the plane of rage and other locations in the module for haste items. There's a number of places people frequent pre-haste gear for farming that are an excellent source of cash, and item drops to gain such items. It's actually not difficult or time consuming to gain haste in Nordock. Potions would just be redundant in my honest opinion. For that matter, there wouldn't really be a crafted item market for the potions, and those who could make the potions wouldn't need haste potions, they'd have the spells per day to give themselves haste at a higher duration. I don't see it making sense unless what RAra suggested, removing perma haste items all together, but that would create more strife than it's worth.
FooLing

Post by FooLing »

There already exists such an item in the mod - it's in Abiz... expensive though for the worth, but definitely available. Coffee anyone? Can even get some fresh brewed. Has some zing to it.
FooLing

Post by FooLing »

Alright, it might not be 2 full turns, but they last twice as long as standard haste potions.