Earth nature field

Poll: Item Level Restriction - bring it back?

Posts regarding the servers of Nordock

Item Level Restriction

Poll ended at Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:38 am

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 11
Beard

Poll: Item Level Restriction - bring it back?

Post by Beard »

Cast your vote!

Feel free to broadcast your decision and your reasons why, you might think of something someone else didn't.
I've also allowed for a revote option on the poll incase you change your decision.

The Poll will run for 7 days.

-EDIT- no decisions are final on this topic, or any other. If we all decide later ILR was a bad call, I'll turn it off, ZOMG HUGE DEAL!
Lliira
DM

Re: Poll: Item Level Restriction - bring it back?

Post by Lliira »

My thoughts and opinions:

I vote in favor of ILR.

From a DM’s viewpoint: It is too hard for me to DM a group of twinked low-levels. I would like to see the playing field evened out. I am not pleased when I look in your new character’s inventory, and see items with ridiculous stat adjustments/attack bonuses, or +4 regeneration, or haste. I am more inclined to ignore you, and not spice things up for you.

From a player’s viewpoint: I started on Classic, with no ILR. Hasted level ones were annoying, I refused to party with them, but still had fun. I had no idea what ILR was, until the server crashed and was down for 18 days. I played on Revenge during that time…talk about a challenge! When I moved to Epic, I hated ILR at first. But then I noticed that characters were wearing gear appropriate to their levels. As time went on, and I moved to Difficult, I was used to ILR, and liked it. It is tough being under level 8, with no regen, but you learn to use tactics when fighting, and when to use a potion. I like the challenge of ILR. It gives you more to look forward to, when gaining levels. This “Epic” server is too easy, in my opinion, and it seems that some have become bored and moved on to other servers or games. :(

I have one request, though. If we do implement ILR, could we have a Fair that weekend? Least Ring of Regeneration will suddenly become very valuable. ;) (ILR 5, if I remember correctly.) Oh! And we might need a strip server, for those that lose a level while wearing that new Vorpal Hat of Badger Slaying that they just equipped.
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Sehanine (Moonbow) – Dreams, Mysticism, Moon Elves
Yondalla – Creation, Tradition, Wisdom
Zinzerena - Chaos, Assassins
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

Yeah we had a strip server before as I recall.

Of course we could also say that you can't lose a level when you die since we're turning training costs on. But would still need to give the players a week or 2 notice so they can find gear they're allowed to wear.
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

That makes sense, Rara, not losing a level. On Diff (and Revenge, iirc) we had to pay to re-train. Talk about a major pain!
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
FooLing

Post by FooLing »

I think if ILR is turned on a strip server of some sort would be necessary, unless you want to lock out the characters of folks that haven't been on for a while (for RL reasons, not necessarily that they moved on). Thanks for thinking about that aspect Lliira. While it would be nice to not lose a level on death, it still wouldn't help folks that might return in the future that had taken a break for one reason or another without a strip server.

The other thing that could happen is that anything that is not within proper ILR would automatically be de-equipped on login (assuming that is scriptable - in the sense you can actually login long enough for the script to kick in prior to being found to be invalid due to ILR), but of course that might mean stuff drops from your inventory and you might not immediately notice... a strip server seems the better option.
FooLing

Post by FooLing »

The other thing to consider about trying to determine what is ILR appropriate is you can't easily tell with ILR off. I mean, yes, some things are obvious, but what if you are close to the right level... it's not as straightforward then. A strip server would allow you to account for items that you didn't realize were problematic if ILR were to be turned on.
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

Lliira wrote: From a DM’s viewpoint: It is too hard for me to DM a group of twinked low-levels. I would like to see the playing field evened out. I am not pleased when I look in your new character’s inventory, and see items with ridiculous stat adjustments/attack bonuses, or +4 regeneration, or haste. I am more inclined to ignore you, and not spice things up for you.
This is my problem too. It seems either I kill players outright trying to out equip them or they barely get a bruise. At least with ILR you know exactly how to challenge them every time.
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Brainley

Post by Brainley »

I voted yes, because I like ILR more than not having it; however, I believe a good portion of the player base just wants to dominate everything. I'm not sure if any of them even read the forums to put in their say on the matter. I'm afraid that they might stop playing if we implement it.
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

Brainley wrote:I voted yes, because I like ILR more than not having it; however, I believe a good portion of the player base just wants to dominate everything. I'm not sure if any of them even read the forums to put in their say on the matter. I'm afraid that they might stop playing if we implement it.
They might. :/ Then again, others who stopped playing because it had become too easy, might come back.
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

Brainley wrote:I voted yes, because I like ILR more than not having it; however, I believe a good portion of the player base just wants to dominate everything. I'm not sure if any of them even read the forums to put in their say on the matter. I'm afraid that they might stop playing if we implement it.
Unfortunately we'll never please everyone. All we can do is offer you guys the chance to weigh in on the future of our world. If some choose not to vote, we can't force them. All I can suggest is if you know anyone that doesn't visit the forum, let them know about the vote.
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor