Earth nature field

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

General Discussion about anything even loosely related to Nordock
Gxtun

Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

Post by Gxtun »

I hope this works. The newer graphic cards have made the game look very poor.
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

The fact that with the Digital Deluxe edition you get the later modules (Pirates of the Sword Coast, Infinite Dungeons, etc.), might entice me to purchase. I really do not see a reason to get the basic ($19.99) version. I have Diamond, the graphics may be "primitive", but it works (mostly) fine.
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Sehanine (Moonbow) – Dreams, Mysticism, Moon Elves
Yondalla – Creation, Tradition, Wisdom
Zinzerena - Chaos, Assassins
Emanon

Post by Emanon »

All the features I've seen touted this thing having made it a big "nothing burger" to me. There's already free mods that do most of that visual junk available out there. I want more "meat" on this thing before I plunk down money for it...
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

AFAIk premium modules won't run on EE for now.
Also, no compatibility with the "current" 1.69 version. Also never Windows XP compatible.
No toolset as of yet.

The game is still opengl 1.2, only hardware T/L from the magnificent geforce 4 era has been replaced by modern, stiff-hardware, no programming needing shaders of which I can hardly see the difference in screenshots. Color intensity I can dial straight on my screen.

What it needs the most is a patch for original 1.69 to be compatible with EE server. But considering all the other pathetic attempts of empoverished copyrightholders milking geriatric cow games with "enhanced editions", it won't be provided by Beamdog of course and probably declared illegal and counteracted should a forward-compatible patch for the original version ever appear in public domain.

This will only fracture communities, please stay away from it. :roll:

cheers!

Xillie
Emanon

Post by Emanon »

"What it needs the most is a patch for original 1.69 to be compatible with EE server."

They'll never ever do that. To me (unless I've missed something), this looks like this:

Beamdog1: Hrm. We hold the rights to this aging game, how can we squeeze it for more money since we can't really make it a subscription-based game, can't pump it full of loot boxes, can't add microtransactions...

Beamdog2: How about we do the barebones minimum of coding to it, change the interface so it won't work with the old version, shop it to developers and basically make it an extortion-tax to the player to keep playing? I mean, all the work is already done for us on modsites out there if we want it.

Beamdog1: Johnson, you're brilliant!

(repeat this conversation cycle every 5 to 10 years til we die)

To me, that's what it seems this is. There's no "meat" on any of the features I saw. Nothing for the player at all. No base races, no prestige classes, no spell additions, no feat additions, no fixing bugs people have complained about since 2002 and no additions of the nicer things made in NWN2 that would make the game better. No actual "content" for the player.

I'd pay 60 bucks gladly for the above, but to me, this just looks like Beamdog is telling persistent world owners as the great thing that will bring new players to their doorstep, all the while saying to the players of a 15-year-old game, "That's a real nice chunk of your life you've invested in your persistent world characters, you should probably pay us this 20 dollar tax to KEEP BEING ABLE TO PLAY IN IT."

I cannot understand what everyone is "excited" about in forums of other servers I play. There's nothing here but a shameless cashgrab and things you can already find for free elsewhere. I wanted to be excited, but end up depressed.
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

Last edited by Xillie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

I mean, that's more or less what beamdog now says. ;)
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

Last edited by Xillie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.