Earth nature field

-

A place to share in-character stories and event recaps! All out of character text should be noted as such.
PokeChop

-

Post by PokeChop »

-
Last edited by PokeChop on Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
PokeChop

-

Post by PokeChop »

-
Last edited by PokeChop on Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wyndfol

Re: The Old Warhorse Returns (Abiz Crusade ll)

Post by Wyndfol »

**20 years ago Storm, Captain of the Golden Order, set out to Abiz to save the citizens from a great evil and stop the spread of it across the realm. Or at least that was the plan…**

Aozame, her 1st Lieutenant had been possessed by a demon and she only discovered it on their way to Abiz. The only way to save him and complete their mission was to let the demon possess her and then banish herself along with it. She knew that once Aozame was freed from the demon he could then eliminate their enemies, destroy the evil and find a way to bring her back if it were at all possible...but she accepted the fact that this would quite possibly be her death. She prayed she made the right choice and that her faith was not misplaced. Once begun, there would be no turning back. Aozame hid her body in a cave, creating a tomb and sealing her in. What she didn’t count on was that once trapped in the Helm of Stasis her battle with the demon wouldn't end.

Time ceased to exist. She battled the demon endlessly. He wanted to control her mind and dominate her will. He broke into her memories and used them against her. Memories she thought were real were twisted to hurt her. People she loved betrayed her. Others were tortured as she looked on. She couldn’t separate the truth. Penumbra, her tormentor, wanted her full submission. Just when her will was at its end and she had no desire to fight back anymore, the demon was summoned back to her world.

A powerful Black Slaad stood before her and the demon. Storm thought this was another game the demon played until she saw the Helm of Stasis in its claws. She also felt the fear and hatred coming from the demon toward its summoner. When the Slaad saw her trapped in the summoning circle along with the demon he cackled with glee. He ordered the demon to tell him what was going on. Unable to deny him, the demon told him of his possession of Aozame, the crusaders quest to find the evil artifact, his possession of Storm and her banishing them both. Afterward, the Slaad killed the demon and took Storm prisoner. He encased her in stone saying he would figure out what he would do with his new ‘pet’. Storm could still see and hear everything going on but was unable to move or speak. She used this time to mend her mind, though she still couldn’t trust her memories or that this wasn’t somehow another trick of the demon. She wasn’t able to fully rest to rejuvenate her magic so she waited, watched and listened.

**Pallah el Hadeen began hearing whispers and rumors of a Black Slaad and his human captive**
Last edited by Wyndfol on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ua mau ke ea o ka aina I ka pono...the life in the land is perpetuated in righteousness
PokeChop

-

Post by PokeChop »

-
Last edited by PokeChop on Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
berylgreen

Post by berylgreen »

((A tiny bit of backstory))

Lady Storm had summoned me to the Hebdezi library.

"Lady Chrys, I've asked you here because I trust you. As you know something has happened with Aozame. I have found out what...Penumbra is a shadow lord...when it joins with a host they become one. Once joined it cannot be undone. I have learned that in death they are separated. Here is where I need your help...."

Storm took a deep breath, and continued. "Because Aozame's life force is at an end, I know the gods will not return him from death more than one more time. I, on the other hand have more life force available to me. I have learned how to get the shadow lord to join with me, but it is dangerous. Through me, he could use my power to destroy everyone and everything in his quest for revenge. But I must save Aozame."

Storm continued. "He was summoned and tortured repeatedly by mind-flayers, and wants his revenge on them. Thus his obsession with power. Aozame, for whatever reason...I can only assume it was to help another, took on this shadow lord willingly. The host has to willingly invite the shadow in."

Then Storm explained what she required. "Here is my plan, and where you and Kayne come in. I ask that you speak of this to no one, especially the paladins. If Aozame chooses to reveal this to them, that is his choice."

Lady Storm then handed me the most hideous helmet, and told me: "I bought this off the merchant. It is called the Helm of Stasis.
It can keep anyone in a state of death without actually killing them. I believe Kurgan of the Hexorite Legion had one...or maybe this is the same one."

She continued, "I am going to do the ceremony and invite the shadow lord into myself; then when he enters, I will need you to put this helmet on me. If I am kept in a death state, the shadow lord cannot do its work through me."

I interrupted, and asked her how this would help, how we would save her.

She went on, "I will be useless to him. It will give Aozame time to find the answers that we need. I am putting my faith in Aozame to know what needs to be done." Storm handed me a parchment. "This scroll is then for you to bring Aozame back to the plane of the living. Once he has returned I will need for you to explain to him what has happened."

I tearfully told her that I would try, and asked if Sir Aozame would remember this shadow lord.
She responded "I am counting on you...we all are. This is the only way to save both Aozame and myself. If I am right he should remember it all as if looking through a window."

"I know an answer will be found...a way to banish this shadow forever. My only other option is the leave Aozame dead. And that cannot be."

"I know I ask a lot of you Chrys, and I am sorry for it. But as I said, I trust you...with my life it seems." Storm smiled sadly at me.

I stated that if this was truly her wish, I would abide by it.

She asked me to aide Aozame in any way that I could. "I know when he learns what I have done he will be beside himself with anger and guilt. Oh, and give him these...he will need them." She handed me some clerical balms.

"A friend of mine is coming to Abiz soon to help. Her name is Ino...you can trust her. She knows what I am going to do."

I couldn't stand this any longer, I jumped up and tearfully hugged Storm. She told me, "All will be well." She then handed me
her Major Leaf insignia, and told me, "Give this to Aozame and tell him to give this to me himself."

A few short hours later:

Storm summoned me again. "Come, Lady Chrys, it is time. In here..." I nodded sadly.

Storm began the ritual. She cast a spell and drank a potion. Then she began singing an odd phrase, "
............darkness...................darkness........"

She motioned for me to come closer and be ready. I held the helm, and braced for what was to come.

The candles all went out, and the room was cast in darkness. A whisper was heard: "Penumbra..." I shivered.

I was becoming very frightened by this time, and then Storm said: "Penumbra, I willingly call you to me."

A shadow stretched all the way to the feet of Storm. She watched this shadow, and then suddenly merged into it. Her hair became dark, and her eyes began to glow. Then, in a voice not her own, I heard: "I LIVE AGAIN....POWER WILL BE MINE!!"

I was in shock, but managed to wrestle her to the ground, and jam the hideous helm on her head. Storm now lay dormant on the ground.

Sobbing, I took out the scroll that Storm had given me, and studied it. I cast the divine magic on it, and Aozame was back with us. I blocked his exit, not knowing what to expect.

Aozame stood motionless for a time. Then he took off his gauntlet, and moved his hand around. After a few moments, he began to breath fast, and staggered. Alarmed, I asked him if he was okay.

Aozame: [Whisper] no
Aozame: [Whisper] no
Aozame: [Whisper] this was not supposed to be.

I backed away. Aozame took off his helm, and dropped both it and his shield to the floor. Aozame knelt down and placed his forehead against Storm’s shoulder, doubled over in silent agony. Then he picked up Storm’s limp body.

Chrysoprase : She sacrificed... she had to save you...
Aozame : *jaw shakes uncontrollably* ... I could not stop this. I watch from behind, underneath... She... *swallows*
Chrysoprase : She insisted it must be this way.
Aozame : *carries body along* Lady Chrys. You should never have let her...
Chrysoprase : I couldn't stop her. : It was her fervent wish to help you.
Aozame : No one ever could stop her. She is Storm.
Chrysoprase : *nods*
Aozame : *places a gold leaf on Storm’s chest and carries her out, beginning to cry heavily* I did this.
Chrysoprase : Sir Aoz...leave the helm on her. It is the only way. She is not dead....nor is she truly alive.
Aozame : *breathes fast and cries harder* I did this. She is inside a nightmare now, Penumbra will torture her.
Chrysoprase : I'm so sorry....*tears flow freely*
Aozame : You...you are her friend.
Chrysoprase : As are you.
Aozame : NO! I'VE BROKEN ALL I LOVE!
Aozame : There is no escaping what I ... what I willingly invited.
Chrysoprase : Maybe a way can be found to help her... the helm is a Helm of Stasis...she is not dead.
Aozame : *breathes harder and looks around room desperately* There must be. This is not over.
Chrysoprase : She is here.
Aozame : And now I must undo what I have done. Lady Chrysoprase, I owe you everything.

And he carried Storm out into the desert, crying…
berylgreen

Post by berylgreen »

Chrysoprase wandered around her office, lost in thought. She aimlessly pulled books off of shelves, flipped through them, put them back. She wasn't sure what was bothering her, but she could not sit still. Pulling a last, leather covered and ancient book from the shelf, she opened it. As she did, a note fell out. It was the draft of a missive she had sent, so many years ago:

"I am now convinced that Aozame has lost his mind.

I write this as I wait to board my ship. Tyr forgive me, but I am leaving Abiz for a time. Instead of just a pervasive, yet elusive evil in this land, the Crusade now suffers from within, as well. This is the hardest decision that I have ever had to make, and my heart is breaking.

I have made many new friends on this Crusade. The dearest has been my friendship with Storm. I will regret what I’ve done to her, for all the rest of my days. I know that she wished to help Aozame, we all did; but I fear this has been in vain. In his despair and grief, he has aligned himself with the Legion of Hextor. He has sent for them, and now wears their despicable colors. They are even calling him “General”, though I feel that this is just more of their manipulation. They have started trying to push their militaristic ways on us. This, I cannot tolerate. If I were to remain, there would be an apocalypse.
I know that Aozame feels that this is the only way left to him to save Storm, and the Crusade. He is wrong. Somehow, the pernicious Legion has gotten under his skin. He has battled them for so long, I cannot believe he has now abandoned his precious Golden Order. Lady Ino has come to act as his advisor. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders, and I hope that somehow she can make Aozame see reason.

I will be joining and waiting it out with the Paladins, back at Torm’s Beacon. They seem to feel that once the Crusade recovers Honor, they could be sent for again. I feel that this will be difficult. Where is the Honor in aligning with an evil organization? And once so aligned, how can there be redemption? I will do all in my power to help Aozame, if he drops his hellish allegiance with the Hextorites.

With many regrets,
Chrys"

Chrysoprase gasped. "I remember it all! I must find Pallah."

With that, she ran out into the street.
PokeChop

-

Post by PokeChop »

-
Last edited by PokeChop on Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wyndfol

Post by Wyndfol »

"I shall return..." Storm watched as the Old Paladin touched her stone cheek then turned and walked out. He had aged so much since she last saw him. Was it time or burdens of life?

She had a thread of hope, all was not lost...perhaps he will notify Aozame, Chrys and Kayne and they will be united once again. The things the Shadow Lord showed her...the deaths of her friends and loved ones...they COULDN'T be real. She denied it in her heart, it's what kept her mind from breaking.

The Slaad Lord hissed and looked at her with malice and what she saw in that look made her despair anew, he would not trade her. He wanted her to suffer and watch as her friends died trying to rescue her. It would be her visions from the Shadow Lord played out. She did something that she hadn't in a long time...she prayed.

Time passed...how much or little she couldn't say...

Then there was movement in the chamber. The slaads were stirring....a lot of them. She heard whispers of, "Pallah...fighters". Perhaps her friends had finally come. She listened to them prepare for battle as they concealed themselves in the shadows.

The door burst open letting in the desert sun, blindingly bright after so much time in near darkness. Jacques, leading several warriors, entered the chamber cautiously. Storm wanted to shout at them, warn them of the dangers. The Slaad Lord made his appearance. Jacques withdrew the egg from a pouch as he looked around. "Our bargain is met. This egg for her freedom." He pointed to the stone statue. The other paladins in the group looked harshly at Jacques, clearly not wanting to be a part of a bargain with this evil creature. The Slaad Lord surrounded by even more guards than the last time the paladin fought his way in, grabbed the egg and issued the order to attack confident in his outcome, however; these were seasoned warriors and surrounded by blessings and enhancements from clerics and mages. She sensed their auras and felt the brush of magic as they came closer. The slaads attacked from the shadows, coming at them from different angles. They were trying to split their forces. She frantically looked for a familiar face but did not see any of her fellow Golden Order members, she tried not to think on that too much. She watched as the battle raged but the skill was with the group the old Paladin led. The Slaad Lord made his appearance and the warriors were pushed back. One of their rank fell, the others rallied around the halfling and fought against the magic the Black Slaad threw at them. The battle was fierce but in the end the Slaad Lord fell. As the echo of his shriek faded so did the magic binding her in stone.

As the air filled her lungs again she felt light headed. Jacques grabbed her to steady her and said, "Welcome back Lady Storm. I know you have much questions and I shall answer them as best I can once we return to the town. We must make haste now." Returning to the Inn was a blur for her as she adjusted to seeing, breathing and feeling. Back at the inn introductions were made and she thanked her rescuers. Afterward Jacques filled her in on what had happened with her and she filled in the missing gaps. Her heart broke again as she was told that her companions were thought to be dead and no sign of them either. She felt the weight of her decision fall on her...she had chosen wrong. The accounts of Aozame's last battle and the scattering of the rallied troops weighed on her chest until she could hardly breathe.

She retreated to the oasis and started at the water not seeing it or feeling its soothing comforts. She mourned and thankfully those around her gave her time to do so. She processed everything she was told and came to terms with the fact she was still alive. She wasn't sure about her faith anymore or her role she had yet to play in this life she was given. She will do what she must. After some time she hardened her heart and steeled her resolve, there was still a mission to be completed. She owed everyone she failed that much. She also decided she needed to learn much more about the desert if she had any hope to accomplish it this time around....and she knew just who to talk to.

Captain Storm was dead and buried...Lady Storm implied respect, a place of honor...she deserved neither. She was just Storm...she turned and headed back to the inn.
Ua mau ke ea o ka aina I ka pono...the life in the land is perpetuated in righteousness
PokeChop

-

Post by PokeChop »

-
Last edited by PokeChop on Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wyndfol

Post by Wyndfol »

*Storm walked into the coffee house and closed her eyes to give them time to adjust to the dark interior and to stop the cringing from the cacophony of noise. After spending weeks acclimating to the desert and coming to terms with her captivity, she was determined to see her mission through. It was what those she lost would have wanted, what was needed and what was right. She slowly unwrapped the scarf from around her head and neck, taking care to not get the fine sand everywhere. As she stepped from the doorway into the hall all noise stopped and every head turned to her. She glanced around the room remembering some faces from her rescue. Then her eyes fell on the old man, he nodded slightly, seeming to sense her purpose and gestured to the empty chair by his side. She sat by his side as he took in her weathered face and the creases around her eyes from squinting in the desert sun.*

"It is time." her voice came out a bit hoarse from lack of use.

The old Paladin nodded. "They are ready."
"We will need to do short explorations to get everyone use to the terrain and the challenges. There is little water and not many places to build a camp. It should be done systematically as it is easy to get turned around and lose your way."
"I will introduce you to an acquaintance of mine, a paladin, who knows this area well. He will be a valuable asset."
Storm nodded. "Make the arrangements, I will return after I've cleaned up and restocked my supplies."

Jacques watched her walk out of the room a sad smile on his lips. He forced his weary bones to cooperate as he stood and walked out...