Earth nature field

Unable to start NWN due to Visual C++ Runtime Errors

Posts regarding the servers of Nordock
GWGuen

Unable to start NWN due to Visual C++ Runtime Errors

Post by GWGuen »

I think my problems are resolved now but I had a LOT of problems trying to get NWN to start for awhile, although if it did start then it would usually stay running for me.

The main problem that I had was that when I tried to start NWN I'd get Visual C++ Runtime Errors for nwmain.exe. If I re-tried it multiple times then it would eventually work but it wasn't working more than 25% of the time. Then I found this Nordock.net page & this helped me a lot:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10&p=30&hilit=nwmain#p30

The Critical Rebuild patch for 1.69 didn't really do anything for me but the NWNCX performance tweaks certainly did. Not only did that get me past the original servers being down but it fixed most of start-up problems. By the way, the "ATI OpenGL driver" and "Base NWNPlayer.INI" links on that page don't work (files not found) when I try to download those files.

Once I replaced the existing files with the ones from NWNCX then NWN would start up for me every time and would run normally for me, with 1 exception. I have 2 monitors on my PC and if I accidentally click anywhere on the monitor that wasn't running NWN then NWN would immediately terminate and I wouldn't be able to run NWN again until I rebooted my PC.

Then I tried something based on this article I found on Gog:

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articl ... -AMD-cards

I copied my nwmain.exe file (even though the article talks about an nwnmain.exe file which, as far as I know, doesn't exist) to another directory, renamed it to nwmain2.exe and copied it back to the orginal directory. Since then I haven't had ANY more stability problems. I didn't change nwmain.exe in any way other than renaming it but that's apparently all it took. I can click in the other screen all I want and NWN doesn't abend or have any problems. And it always starts for me now.

Maybe the "ATI OpenGL driver" file would have fixed this problem for me if I'd been able to download it but, as far as I can see right now, all I really had to do to fix my problems was to download NWNCX and replace those files and then copy nwmain.exe to a different directory, rename it, & copy it back to the original directory. Since then it's been rock-solid for me.

Thanks,
GWGuen
Lliira
DM

Re: Unable to start NWN due to Visual C++ Runtime Errors

Post by Lliira »

The person who maintains those links no longer checks here, but thank you for your report! I am glad that the game is running well for you, now.

Every time a new version of Windows is released, there are issues. We struggle through them, to keep playing this 15-year old game. :)
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Sehanine (Moonbow) – Dreams, Mysticism, Moon Elves
Yondalla – Creation, Tradition, Wisdom
Zinzerena - Chaos, Assassins
GWGuen

Post by GWGuen »

In the "viewtopic" link above, it has a "www.nordock.net/forums/..." link that I can't get to now. Is there a way to still see that post. A friend is having problems with setting up NWN Diamond and I thought that that had some other suggestions that he might try. I can't remember exactly what's on that page.

Also, I'm trying to see if anyone has had any problems running NWN Diamond on Windows 11 yet. I tried searching the forums here but I haven't seen a thread for it. I'm assuming that it will work but I wasn't sure.

Thanks,
GWGuen
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

It might be this page? viewtopic.php?t=10 - we still have all of the pages, we were able to save them, but they have different link names now. Instead of nordock dot net, we are nordock dot quest.
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Sehanine (Moonbow) – Dreams, Mysticism, Moon Elves
Yondalla – Creation, Tradition, Wisdom
Zinzerena - Chaos, Assassins
GWGuen

Post by GWGuen »

That looks like what I was remembering! Thank you!