Earth nature field

Terrifying Rage

General Discussion about anything even loosely related to Nordock
olddog

Terrifying Rage

Post by olddog »

Hey all,

Question, is there a list of changes to feats and stuff somewhere on the forum? I couldn't find one.

I ask because I built this new hero with Terrifying rage as one of his main features, and now that I have it it seems to be nerfed a bit.

Basically, it only seems to catch guys in the circle as it is activated, not anything that runs into the circle. So if you prep rage outside of combat and then run in, which is the usual way of doing things, the fear will not work. It's a pretty big nerf imo as it was one of the things barbarians had going for them in epics. Naturally i'm biased but curious to know what changes were made, and if possible, why? Maybe it was far too powerful? Never played one before so I'm not sure.

Cheers!

Edit: I noticed you can't even reactivate it while surrounded by guys, gotta wait for the old one to expire. Rough. :|
FooLing

Re: Terrifying Rage

Post by FooLing »

I'm not sure if it's intentionally nerfed but I've got a barb that has TR so I know what you are talking about. I think it may (or may not) be related to the haste bug (nwn in general not nordock) with auras that if you "run ahead" of your aura it can disrupt it/end it. That's my speculation only after seeing it in practice, so I may be totally off the mark.

I've found it to be most effective to pop it right in combat after I stop moving forward. My experience has been, it may not affect the guys already in the rage radius right away if you activate it while already in combat, but it should immediately affect the ones entering the radius (or at least cause them to make the required rolls). If you race around after wards, it may wonk out again.

I may have tested the haste thing out once (can't remember - it's been a while), but you could confirm if your character has haste or not. If you do have haste on him, might try a fight somewhere without haste and see if activating it then running in to combat still has the same problem. My suggestion if haste is a factor is to activate it in combat (after you stop running for the most part).

I don't know of a link about spell or feat changes (from standard nwn) specifically anywhere on the forums but it sounds like a good idea. Maybe there is one that I'm not aware of. I think there are entries that may cover the below, but the topic might not make it obvious (just like this one).

Of spells, the main changes I'm aware of are for creature summons, to make them more like the D&D handbook.

Of feats, the main one I'm aware of is for devastating critical. Epic Weapon Specialization was added as a pre-req in Nordock, which means you must have at least 4 levels of fighter to get it.

There may be others I'm not aware of or not thinking of at the moment.
olddog

Re: Terrifying Rage

Post by olddog »

Cheers for the help FooLing! I had a good test of it. Haste doesn't seem to have any effect but I've sort of figured out how it works. Although if anyone actually knows how it works, or if it is intentional, that'd be cool.

Basically it seems to drop a "waypoint" when you activate it, and the fear aura radiates from there. If you move away from it, it will still be in that position. Say if you teleported to the other side of the map, creatures will still roll the save at the original point you activated it if they run through. So it's not really a fear aura. This is how it works except for when it doesn't...because after a seemingly random period of like 15-30 seconds the "waypoint"/aura will re position to where you currently are, and stay there till rage expires.

However!

If you go through a transition while raged, Terrifying rage will then act as it should by Vanilla NWN standards and it is a lot of fun. Basically it just acts as fear auras should.

It is pretty powerful when it works normally, however I don't think it is Overpowered considering it is a level 15+ barb (24 character) feat, and you really don't have that many charges of rage, and most of the tough creatures have enough hit die to not be effected anyway, or they will just loose 2 ab and some saves and be unaffected otherwise. For instance, i'm level 25, and the Lizard Barbarians, and heros are not effected by it, and they're the ones that can really hurt me anyway.

So i have a feeling this wasn't an intentional nerf. Bummer :/

Peas.