14%
I don't care
14%

Total votes: 7
raradra
DM

Want new and shiny stuff in Nordock?

Post by raradra »

So we've been telling you for ages that the mod is at resource capacity and we can't do much to it, but the dev team has come up with a possible solution if you guys are interested. By putting all the static stuff into a HAK file, the mod will have lots of room to grow. You'll already have the CEP hak of course, but this would be an additional small file.

It wouldn't be a huge file, and the link to download would be here, on facebook, and in the server details in game so people could find it. Of course we'd host it so that it's easy to get at and you wouldn't be forced to sign up anywhere or anything.

Anyway it's up to you guys. How bad do you want new stuff?
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Xillie

Re: Want new and shiny stuff in Nordock?

Post by Xillie »

If it's solely for module resources, the HAK can function serverside only right?
I would be against two client downloads.
Also I think running multiple (two) servers/modules linked through vaultsharing and DB sharing is a considerable option.
Allows for both keeping things that are unbroken while having plenty of room in the "slave" server/module.

Cheers.
Richard_Uther
DM

Post by Richard_Uther »

It would work both ways, Xillie. What the hak would do is not only what Raradra says, which yeah, it'll free up resources to build on the main module. It also means we devs have a main core system ready to go, so if we go on multiple modules, it doesn't matter if it's two, three, ten or twenty. They all share the core system and Db, so nothing gets broken while jumping around servers. From a designer point of view, it'll make our job easier. However, it all comes down to whether the players are willing to download the file or not, we have several other options including the one you mention, so it's up to you. I obviously voted Yes, but I don't think it really counts.
Emanon

Post by Emanon »

Not having haks meant something in the world of dial-up being majority and something like downloading CEP taking 14 hours of game time. Those days are no longer. CEP is nice to help your character look like how you envision them. ACP is fantastic to keep you from falling asleep mid-fight. Etc. Yes, you might say, I am for haks.