Earth nature field

Spell: Charm Person vs giants

Please post any in-game or website related bugs you encounter and any helpful steps or information to replicate the bug. **NOTE** If this is an unbalancing in-game exploit, please PM the DMs with the information to avoid any possible abuses. If you're unsure, PM the DMs.
Xillie

Re: Spell: Charm Person vs giants

Post by Xillie »

My reasonings ultimately fall alright. They were more from a game-balance perspective, but since Dan pointed out other true humanoids apparently have "monstrous" classes even that falls.
I too have read about the medium sized maximum on humanoids...but it was someone who said it followed by someone who denied it:)
I've also read that 3.5 edition is more friendly towards counting giants as humanoid......Guess it comes down to "huge" size being possible humanoid or not.

greets,
Xillie
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

Improved knockdown with halflings becomes impossible on "noble giants" where its still possible to IKD stone/hill giants.

"noble giants" (frost and fire and valkyrys) are "huge" where stone/hill giants and ogres are "large".
Beard

Post by Beard »

Yeah, just remember that nordock is on a heavily modified 3.0 system.
arthur_l

Post by arthur_l »

The difference between giants and humanoids came up in a PnP campaign I was running a while back- one of the PCs was a half giant, so he could use a hat of disguise to appear as an ogre (disguise self allows for changing appearance but not creature type). He used his hat for great comic effect, to bluff his way past loads of ogre guards etc. It was good fun :)
Dander7BD

Post by Dander7BD »

On the different side of the size spectrum: What of Fey?

Mind that elves and gnomes is a part of this set and that this race is placed in the tool-set's humanoid category. But for some reason not part of Charm/Hold person spell target list.
arthur_l

Post by arthur_l »

Elves/gnomes are humanoid, but with distant fey ancestry- similar to sorcerers often having distant dragon ancestry, but being humanoid
Dander7BD

Post by Dander7BD »

arthur_l wrote:Elves/gnomes are humanoid, but with distant fey ancestry- similar to sorcerers often having distant dragon ancestry, but being humanoid

Fey is an umbrella term. Elves/Gnomes is defined as fey humanoid. But given their own category because they are playable races. The lineage is quite pure as these races tends to bond with their own. Not quite comparable with sorcerers/bards with a part of draconian or fey lineage.