Earth nature field

Serena's Tear

A place to share in-character stories and event recaps! All out of character text should be noted as such.
berylgreen

Serena's Tear

Post by berylgreen »

On a fine, sunny afternoon, two young adventurers decided to explore. The duo bought passage to Brosna, and set sail. Upon their arrival in the capital city, they walked around and stared at the large buildings, and perused the wares of many merchants.

After a time, Xavier Zentari, who was a druid, yawned and proclaimed, "That voyage made me tired." They decided to find a spot to camp for the night, as the druid did not wish to stay at the local inn. They headed west out of the city, and found a suitable spot not far from the city gates.

The young druid meditated, the paladin prayed, and then they both slept. When they woke, they decided to explore the immediate area. Xavier whistled for his hound, Xander, and they began by following an old path which seemed to have once been a road. Continuing along this path, the trees began to close in, the very air grew darker. Both shivered, for different but similar reasons: the druid felt the abnormality of this cursed wood, the paladin sensed the evil. Determined to explore, regardless of personal fears or feelings, they continued along the ancient road.

Hearing a high-pitched shriek, they ran toward the sound, and discovered some vampiric fiends harassing what appeared to be a child. With the help of Xavier's companion, Xander, they were able to defeat these fiends. Xavier gave Xander some rabbit jerky as a reward for helping, then stated, "Something is definitely not right here...unnatural in the extreme".

Iolite, being the bravest and strongest, searched the fiends' pockets for identification or clues. Finding nothing, she searched the area. She saw a pile of loose rocks, and moved a few of them aside. She noticed one rock that was different: transparent and shinier than the others. She inspected it, then put it in her pocket. She moved a few more rocks aside, then said, "Huh. Someone lost an old ring in these stones. But I can't read the writin' on it." Xavier came over and inspected it. "Perhaps one of the mages in town will be able to decipher it."

Peering around, Xavier noticed some phantom children playing nearby. He remarked, "That is most...unusual." Iolite responded, "It is! We can see them, but they are transparent. They are so beautiful!" Xavier answered, "I think we are disturbing their resting place. We should let them be."

Xavier and Iolite returned to town. Iolite went in search of a mage to determine the origin of the old ring. The first mage that she checked with was Drugo Garekkin. After chatting with Drugo for a moment, Iolite turned away. "He can't tell what stuff is." Next they stepped into the magic shop, and Iolite consulted with Werdna Nemeln. He was able to tell her about the ring, right away. "He told me what the writin' on this ring is. Isn't it unusual?", asked Iolite. Xavier looked at it again, and stated, "It is interesting. You should keep it. You thought to look in those rocks." Iolite didn't respond, but stuck the ring in her pocket, hoping to look for the owner at some later time.

As they turned to leave the magic shop, a townswoman ran in, screaming for help. Xavier said, "What seems to be the trouble?", as a drow assassin ran in after the townswoman, and attacked her. Iolite attacked and killed the drow, but it was too late for the townswoman. "Poor lady! What the hells was that doing in town?" Xavier, having just finished taking the woman's pulse, turned to Iolite. "Did you feel that? I was afraid the building was coming down on us." Iolite, watching Xavier, said, "Maybe we can take her ta the priest. And yeah, I felt it shaking."

Turning to finally leave, Xavier stepped over the body of the assassin, and apologized to Werdna, "Sorry about the body there, sir; I hope you or your, um, assistant, can take care of it."

As they left the magic shop, one quick glance showed trouble in the town. There were growing fires scattered all over, there were bodies lying in the streets. Both of the adventurers exclaimed, “What in the hells?” and “Oh, now what?” almost simultaneously. Noticing a trail of blood splatters, they followed it almost to the door of the temple.

To Be Continued...